Week 5: Quantitative vs. Qualitative Approach
Compare and contrast qualitative and quantitative. For each approach, discuss:
1) What are the strengths and weaknesses of this approach?
2) What major research questions can this approach address?
3) What is the type of sampling and the data that is collected?
4) Find a journal article that uses this approach and discuss.
5) How does mixed methods approach bridge the gaps? When is it appropriate?
Privacy of Patient Medical Information
There is an important issue to understand as you develop data collection plans. According to HIPAA, all individual patient information is private.
for a summary of these rules.
You can not get a list of patients from providers. The way this can be done is for the provider to ask the patient for written permission for you to contact. All of these steps must be approved by the IRB of the organizations.
Although this makes our work more difficult, think about what it would mean if researchers had access to all your health information.