Sometimes, what a leader perceives to be employee wants, and what the employees really want, are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
Download the survey template for this assignment. On it, you will see a six-point scale, and on either side of this scale, the headings “Employee Wants” and “What Leaders/Supervisors Think Employees Want.” You are to use this document to conduct a survey in the following manner:
- Take the survey yourself from the standpoint of a leader/supervisor. Consider what you think employees want, and put numbers beside each of the six items (1 is the most important, and 6 is the least important).
- Survey two employees from any facet of the hospitality industry (restaurants, hotel/lodging, contract-feeding companies, resorts, casinos, etc.). Ask them to number, in priority, each of the six items using the “Employee Wants” side of the form.
- Next, survey two managers/supervisors from any facet of the hospitality industry. Ask them to number, in priority, each of the six items using the “Employee Wants” side of the form.
In a minimum 350-word report in a Word document following MLA format, answer the following questions (it is not necessary to attach the actual surveys):
- What are the similarities and differences between the wants of the employees?
- What are the similarities and differences between the mangers/supervisors?
- Compare and contrast the employees versus the managers/supervisors. How do you explain any differences you may notice between actual wants of employees and the perceptions of the supervisors?
- Do your own survey results align more closely with the actual wants of the employees or the perceptions of the supervisors?
- How does this exercise assist you in working with employees?
Post your report in a Word document to the W4: Assignment 2 Dropbox. Be sure to cite any sources.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|In a Word document, completed the survey from the point of view of a supervisor/leader in the hospitality industry.||
|Conducted the survey with two different employees and manger/supervisors.||
|Provided an overview of the employee and manager similarities and differences.||
|Compared personal results to the other surveys and noted how this exercise assisted in working with employees.||
|Met word count and followed current MLA guidelines for writing style, citations, spelling, and grammar.||