Scientific Method Assignments
These assignments are designed to help you learn how the scientific method works and how it is used to learn more about various physiological processes or how these processes can be effected by outside influences.
Below is a list with links to a number of research articles for you to pick from. Be sure to only do articles from the list (these are ones I felt had the information you need to complete the assignment) or you will have to redo the assignment in order to get any credit.
For each article you choose, you will need to read the article and type up an evaluation of its use of the scientific method. Your write up must include the following:
• The title of the article you chose
• Identify the hypothesis (write “the hypothesis is …”)?
• Evaluate the experimental design – be sure to list each of the 5 components I said were important to a good experimental design, identify if this experiment had each of those components, what it had for each of the component and if you think what they had for each component contributed to good experimental design or not and why?.
• Identify their conclusion?
• Tell me whether you think their conclusion is scientifically valid based on your evaluation of their experimental design and give support for your opinion?
Scientific Method Research Article Choices
Choose from below:
https://www.nejm.org/medical-articles/research (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Pick from the following Research articles only on this site (you may have to go beyond page 1 to find them):
· Fish Oil–Derived Fatty Acids in Pregnancy and Wheeze and Asthma in Offspring
· Shortened Antimicrobial Treatment for Acute Otitis Media in Young Children
· Two Phase 3 Trials of Dupilumab versus Placebo in Atopic Dermatitis
· Everolimus-Eluting Stents or Bypass Surgery for Left Main Coronary Artery Disease
· Palbociclib and Letrozole in Advanced Breast Cancer
· Diabetes and Cause-Specific Mortality in Mexico City
· Effect of Short-Term vs. Long-Term Blood Storage on Mortality after Transfusion
· Pembrolizumab versus Chemotherapy for PD-L1–Positive Non–Small-Cell Lung Cancer
Or Pick from:
Carnes AJ, Mahoney SE. Cohesion is Associated with Perceived Exertion and Enjoyment during Group Running. JEPonline 2016;19(6):24-39
https://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlineDECEMBER2016_Carnes.pdf (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Chatzakis P, Paradisis G, Maridaki M, Zanni E, Zacharogiannis E. The Impact of Running with Minimal Shoes on Physiological Responses and Endurance Performance. JEPonline 2016;19(6):40-51. https://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlineDECEMBER2016_Chatzakis.pdf (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Cruz TMF, Rosa FO, Marchetti PH, Luna NMS, Fedele TA, Greve JMA, Rodrigues MB, Verlengia R, Lopes CR. The Morphological and Performance Response of Pilates Training in Active Women. JEPonline 2016;19(6):52-63.
https://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlineDECEMBER2016_Cruz.pdf (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Treeraj A, Kamutsri T, Lawsirirat C, Intiraporn C. Matching Physiological Demand of Competitive Soccer Matches with Comprehensive Complex Training for Soccer Players. JEPonline 2016;19(6):94-103
https://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlineDECEMBER2016_Intiraporn.pdf (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Phoemsapthawee J, Ammawat W, Leelayuwat N. The Benefits of Arm Swing Exercise on Cognitive Performance in Older Women with Mild Cognitive Impairment. JEPonline 2016;19(6):123-136.
https://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlineDECEMBER2016_Leelayuwat.pdf (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.