Reflection on Diversity
Reflection on Diversity
2-3 pages title and reference page
For this assignment, you will reflect on a some aspect of diversity
Then do some thinking on this in terms the issues we have covered in this course.
You get to choose one of the following topics for your reflection essay:
Discuss a time when you felt like an outsider in a particular social setting, whether in the workplace, at school, amongst a group of friends, et cetera. Describe what that experience was like, how it affected you, and what you learned.
Discuss a time when you noticed someone being excluded, discriminated against, or otherwise neglected or treated unfairly in a particular social setting. Describe that experience, how you reacted, and what you learned.
Explain how your own life has been shaped by one or more of the categories of diversity we are discussing in this course: race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or social class.
IN YOUR WRITE UP:
In your essay, try to give examples of your personal experiences that relate to at least three concepts, ideas or theories from the course readings. You have a lot of leeway in terms of the 3 concepts you pick – so choose some that are interesting to you or that you’re curious about. And this should be interesting because you will be relating these concepts to your own life!
(Please highlight your 3 concepts in bold).
HERE’S AN EXAMPLE:
If you were writing about what if feels like to be an outsider,
you could connect your discussion to 3 different ideas from the course such as…
• –the notion of power (this would be CONCEPT ONE)
• –or maybe social structure (the various social institutions like family, work, education, religion, economy, government, etc) (CONCEPT TWO)
• –or the broader issue of relationships between dominant-minority groups. (CONCEPT THREE)
Then, based on what you learned from the experience you choose, share personal strategies that you feel would be useful for improving interactions or relationships between social groups.
That’s just an example. You can select whichever of the 3 topics you want and then you get to select your 3 concepts that you find most interesting.
• –Your essay should be 2–3 pages,
• –with a title and reference page.
• –Citations in the body of your essay for those 3 concepts you selected.
• –Full references to the readings on your separate reference page — to correspond with the citations.
Ok, let’s get going! Be thinking about this early on, so you have plenty of time to do your write up!