Evaluate the relationship between ethics and leadership
Write a 3000 word essay in which you:
- Use an organisation that is or has been in the news during the past two years (work-related learning) and identify an ethical dilemma faced by that organisation as an example.
- Apply at least two theoretical concepts from managerial ethics to examine this dilemma critically.
- Go on to examine and critically evaluate the relationship between ethics, leadership and decision making.
- In conclusion, reflect critically on how leaders may ensure organisational decisions are made ethically.
- Academic and professional communication skills: You must follow an essay structure that is at a minimum an introduction; a main body that outlines the argument, analyses the material you have researched and assesses this according to the guidelines above; and a conclusion. Your writing style must follow professional literacy: Citations and a final reference list that follows the APA 6 guidelines accurately; the quality of writing and presentation: accurate mechanics (spelling, grammar, punctuation etc.); use respectful language to discuss all people; avoid emotive language; employ inclusive, non-sexist language. Use a minimum of ten (10) citations/references
In short, you will need to demonstrate an understanding and critical analysis of the theories surrounding the topic, as well as evaluating the practical reality in the workplace. Please refer to relevant academic literature and source materials, as well as drawing upon your knowledge of the organisation.
Rationale – This assignment is designed to address Learning Objectives 1 to 5 by:
- familiarising students with the various theories relating to organisations and organisational planning and control.
- encouraging students to discern the strengths and weaknesses of the wide array of theoretical contributions;
- encouraging students to use empirical evidence to support their arguments.
Answer must be in the following format.
1. Introduction (200 words approx)
i) Explain the situation you are about to discuss (e.g. firms experiencing ethical dilemmas) – cite academic sources
ii) Give definitions of the most important concepts and introduce theories for managerial ethics (3-4 sentences)
iii) Introduce the company on which you will show how ethical concepts have (or have not) been applied – briefly describe the ethical dilemma – use citation.
iv) State your thesis (which is section 4 of your assignment) i.e. what you understand companies must implement to ensure they make ethical decisions – use cititation
400 words: discuss the company, and the ethical dilemma and the full impact of the ethical dilemma (use industry citation,)
400 words: discuss one theoretical concept of managerial ethics – then apply it to your company (does it show that your firm has acted ethically or not), Evaluate this from a number of points of views (managerial. Stakeholders etc) – use academic citation.
400 words: Discuss second theoretical concept of managerial ethics (as above.)
400 words: Discuss how behavior guided by managerial ethics leads to a positive climate for stakeholders, referring to ethical decision making ( give a definition) – use academic cititation.
400 words: Apply such positive climate to your company and explain why that was not the case in your firm – refer to leadership etc,
450 words: Evaluate different leadership styles and their consequences (include any leadership styles that held negative impact on your firm) – use academic citations.
500 words: Discuss in detail how firms can create a workable ethical environment in which dilemmas (such as that in your firm ) cannot occur and process of ethical decision making are firmly embedded.
3) Summary: 150 – 200 words
Summarise each section of your discussion and justify your thesis ( this essay has argued that………). Conclude with a repetition of the measures that firms must implement to ensure they practice ethics in an atmosphere of organizational justice.