Assignment 1: Short Exam Questions (5 pages, 5 References): Write down the questions followed by your responses.
- Provide two definitions of intelligence-led policing. Be sure to include proper citations.
- Law enforcement intelligence was first used against organized criminal activities. Name three of the four types of organized crimes mentioned in Lecture 1.
- List four questions that are part of the analytic process as described in the “Basic Elements of Intelligence Revisited” (Peterson, 1999).
- According to Caprioni, which three sections of the Act “toppled the wall separating intelligence investigators from law enforcement investigators and have allowed vital information sharing of immeasurable value in the war against terrorism”?
- 28 Code of Federal Regulations 23.20 states that ” —————- is established when information exists which establishes sufficient facts to give a trained law enforcement or criminal investigative agency officer, investigator, or employee a basis to believe that there is a ——— that an individual or organization is involved in a ————————————-” (fill in the three blanks)
- What recommendation of the National Criminal Intelligence Sharing Plan supports the rights to privacy of U.S. citizens?
- The collection plan is a systematic procedure for gathering relevant information
from == ===== ===== that responds to intelligence requirements to produce an
intelligence product. (fill in the blanks)
- The first rule of dissemination is to abide by a two pronged test which includes what?
- List five potential law enforcement sources of information that may be used to generate intelligence.
- According to the authors of “Intelligence Led Mitigation”, what does it involve?
Assignment 2: Threat Assessment(5 pages, 5 References)
If you need to log in to the class to read the report please go to learn.umuc.edu and enter user name: rsamuels11 password: 2017Umuc2017. Click on course content by week to find the resources you need.
This week’s readings included the 2014 Drug Threat Assessment report by the Drug Enforcement Administration and the 2013 National Gang Threat Assessment by the National Gang Intelligence Center of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Both provide detailed looks at these significant issues in criminal justice, which include those organizations’ predictions (“Outlook” section) about the future of drug and gang prevalence in the United States.
Pick one of the reports and answer the following questions based on the totality of the report:
- What gang or controlled substance appears to now pose the most significant threat to the U.S. and why? (1 full page)
- Are these newly emerging threats or have they continued steadily over the past decade? Provide evidence to support your answer. (1 full page)
- What has the law enforcement strategy been to contain these activities? Do you think it has been successful or not? Why or why not (provide evidence). (1 full page)
- What would the components of a successful LE program against these activities be? Examples of enforcement programs include: border interdiction, following the money, anti-crime education in middle and grammar schools (e.g., “DARE”), community job and sports programs, curtailing incarceration of first-time offenders, for example. Explain why they would be successful and in what time frame? If there are examples of how your chosen program has been successful in some area, provide that information as support. (2 full pages)
Your response will be judged on your ability to provide evidence in support of your statements and choices. You may use sources other than the two documents for your evidence. This assignment counts for 20% of grade.
Assignment 3: CASE STUDY (5 pages, 5 References)
This is a “case study”, or short analytical paper. Choose an event in which there was a crime, incident, or attack and conduct research for details on the role that intelligence played in providing early warning, or mitigated the attack. If the attack was carried out, analyze the role of intelligence in the ensuing investigation.
Consider these questions:
- Did intelligence provide early warning? If so, how, and in what capacity?
- Explain the coordination between law enforcement entities. Was it effective and in what way? If not, what were the hindrances to cooperation?
- Could you identify the phases of the intelligence cycle in your case? That is, how did units collect information and turn that information into actionable intelligence products for the law enforcement entities? What role did criminal analysis play in this case?
- What worked well in the investigation and what were the lessons learned?
This assignment is meant to engage your interest, enabling you to learn more about real world events and practice writing succinct papers that demonstrate your understanding of the course concepts.
There are plenty of cases to choose from, including:
International: the London Train bombing; the Madrid train bombing; the attack on Mumbai hotel; the Ottawa attack; or the Paris attack, as some examples.
Domestic: the Shoe Bomber; the Boston Marathon case; attacks on military installations (incidents on Ft. Dix, Ft. Hood, the Navy Yard) by “domestic” attackers; the attack on the Alfred Murrah building in Oklahoma City; the Unabomber or many others.
Your paper should be 5 pages, double-spaced, excluding your title page and references page. Please cite your sources properly in the text and in complete citations in your reference section. Use APA format, please. If you have any questions about citing or resources, please ask.
Assignment 4: Final Comprehensive Research Paper (11 pages, 10 references)
Your final paper will give you the opportunity to research and write about a real-world event or issue that you are actively interested in. Your topic should be relevant to the subject matter of this course, the concept and practical application of intelligence-Led Policing. You provided topic in Week 2 and I gave you feedback.
Your paper, which should be 10-12 double- spaced pages, should address the issue, providing some background while exploring the concepts of ILP. Did the concepts work in this case? What were the “sweet spots” and the hard spots? Please provide your thesis up front, with supporting arguments based on fact, and a conclusion. Please cite appropriately using APA format. Thank you.
This paper will be due at the end of Week 11 so that I will have time to read it carefully and provide meaningful feedback. If you have any questions about the assignment, please ask. I look forward to your ideas.