‘It is necessary to understand/ That a poet may not exist…’ (Ern Malley, ‘Sybilline’)
Offer an essay that explores issues of subjectivity, perspective and the limits of the self in at least five poems set for study. Is it helpful to argue that these poems demonstrate a particularly Australian sense of poetic personhood?
You must answer using 5 poems from those set for study within the Puncher and Wattmann Anthology.
TEXTBOOK: Leonard, J. (ed) (2009) The Puncher and Wattman Anthology of Australian Poetry, Puncher and Wattman
USE ONE POEM EACH FROM THE FOLLOWING POETS FROM THE ABOVE TEXTBOOK.
FIVE POETS TO USE FROM THE ANTHOLOGY:
1.John Shaw Neilson
- Kenneth Slessor
4.Robert D. Fitzgerald
One poem from each poet within the Anthology book.
*YOU NEED TO USE THAT TEXTBOOK AND USE 5 POEMS FROM WITHIN THAT TEXTBOOK WITH THE ABOVE POETS MENTIONED ABOVE.
This assignment is designed to test and develop a student’s critical understanding and discussion of literary texts. It also examines your ability to frame an argument and place your thinking within broader theoretical approaches. This requires deep familiarity with the texts, and skills in textual analysis.
This task aligns with the subject’s learning objectives of:
- Have an introduction to the major lines of development in Australian prose and poetry from 1788 to the 1990s.
- Be able to place the literature in its social, political and cultural context.
- Be aware of the relationship between reader and text in the creation of literary meaning.
- Have continued the development and refinement of their literary competence through a reading of selected Australian works.
NB: it is ok to use another recognised system of referencing (e.g. MLA) in each of the assessment tasks in this subject
The assignment will be marked according to the following criteria:
- Addressing/answering the question (outcomes 2,3,4)
- Clarity and sophistication of essay thesis and argument (outcomes 1,2,3,4)
- Depth of reading of primary texts and reflection on them (outcomes 1,2,3,4)
- Quality and clarity of writing in all parts (outcome 4)
- Adherence to referencing protocols: Your essay will include a full bibliography of all works cited and relied upon. You automatically lose marks in any essay if this is not included. (outcome 4)
- Similarly, your essay should be proof-read for grammar, and spell-checked: marks will be deducted for errors of this kind (outcome 4)