Advanced Structural Analysis Concepts
Module Code: ECM12BE
Module Title: Advanced Structural Analysis Concepts
Instructions to candidates
|Submission is individual
Submission Date: As published on Moodle
Advanced Structural Analysis Concepts Assignments
In this assignment, the student will use the theories developed in the lecture sessions to:
- Derive the plastic moment of resistance for a partially plastic rectangular section.
- Determine the plastic moment of resistance for an asymmetrical section.
- Carry out the plastic analysis of a rectangular portal frame and draw an annotated bending moment diagram for the solution obtained.
This assignment should demonstrate achievement of learning outcomes 2 and 3, and will constitute 70% of the overall module mark.
|Item||Maximum Score||Maximum Score||Outcome Served|
|1||Apply relevant theoretical techniques to determine the plastic moment of resistance (Mp) of a partially plastic rectangular section||
|2||Demonstrate a clear understanding of the topic by determining the plastic moment of resistance (Mp) of an asymmetrical section.||
|3||Apply relevant theoretical techniques to carry out the plastic analysis of a rectangular portal frame.||
By considering the example of a rectangular section of width b and depth h, derive the expression of the bending moment M of the section when the stress distribution is partly plastic and partly elastic. The depth of the elastic core of the section is ah.
The axial and shear effects are ignored and the section is in pure bending.
The full plastic moment of the section is Mp.
Figure Q1 shows the cross-section of a steel beam subjected to a sagging moment.
Calculate the plastic moment of resistance Mp of the section, and calculate the plastic section modulus, S.
Take the yield stress of the material sy = 185 N/mm2.
The rectangular portal frame shown in Figure Q2 is subjected to a horizontal force H and a vertical force V. The columns of the frame have a plastic moment Mp and the beam has a plastic moment 2Mp, where Mp = 200 kNm.
- Considering all possible collapse mechanisms, plot an annotated interaction diagram of V versus H (with H on the horizontal axis). Using the diagram, discuss the possible collapse mechanisms of the frame that may take place and define the boundaries and critical points on the diagram.
- For V = 250 kN and assuming a combined mechanism, draw an annotated bending moment diagram for the whole frame. Show all calculations for full mark.